Injuries and Physical Conditions We Treat
At RehabXcel, we provide comprehensive therapy for the full spectrum of painful or immobilizing injuries and physical conditions. They include:
- Orthopedics – Your musculoskeletal system – which is comprised of bones, muscles, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, joints, and other connective tissue – is a powerful and resourceful part of your body, yet it is also susceptible to injury, especially with age or repetitive motion activities. That includes injury to upper or lower extremities, dislocations and fractures, arthritis, tendonitis, and a host of other problems.
At RehabXcel, our dedicated team of physical therapists will work with you individually to ensure that you receive appropriate physical therapy tailored to your specific needs.
- Neurological – A cerebrovascular accident (CVA), more commonly known as a stroke, can have a significant effect on your life. A stroke happens when a blockage or a ruptured blood vessel prevents blood flow to a part of your brain. As a result, you may experience difficulty walking, speaking, or understanding, as well as paralysis or numbness of the face, arm, or leg.
Another serious neurological condition is traumatic brain injury (TBI) which often occurs as a result of a severe sports injury or a vehicular accident involving a violent blow to the head. Immediate or delayed symptoms of TBI include confusion, blurred vision, and difficulty concentrating.
When dealing with a neurological disorder, the therapists at RehabXcel focus on restoring function, re-training muscles and joints, and correcting mechanical imbalances so you can recover from your condition to the fullest extent.
- Vertigo – Dizziness, or vertigo, can occur at any age, but is most common among people ages 65 and over. It can be caused by inflammation or an infection of the inner ear, a head injury, ear surgery, migraine headaches, or a mini stroke. Whatever the cause, vertigo can cause lightheadedness, balance problems, motion sickness, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), headaches, nausea and vomiting.
At RehabXcel, we provide balance retraining for those diagnosed with vertigo, as well as other therapeutic options.
- Sports Injuries – Whether you’re a competitive athlete or a weekend warrior, playing sports puts you at risk for injury. At RehabXcel, we can help you overcome your injury, get back in the game, increase your strength and agility, and avoid reinjury. Our services include concussion screenings for head trauma injuries, which may involve an MRI or CT scan imaging test. We also provide physical screens so previous injuries or health problems can be detected and treated. A pre-exercise physical examination may include medical history, a physical examination, laboratory testing, and additional specific screening evaluations. Our certified athletic trainer, also a physical therapist, offers you the same knowledge and experience that has made him a trusted provider for local athletes and sports programs, including the ones at Louisiana State University–Eunice.
- Hand and Arm Injuries – Hand and arm injuries are among the most debilitating types you can develop. This is due to the complexity of these structures and to the importance of your hands and arms to everyday tasks like writing, getting dressed, eating, simple daily chores, and complex tasks. Without proper and timely rehabilitation, an upper-extremity injury or conditions (e.g. arthritis, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome) can affect your life and livelihood.
Fortunately, RehabXcel has the skills and expertise to help you heal more swiftly and effectively from hand and arm injuries. Not only will we help alleviate your pain, we will also increase your strength, improve your range of motion, and greatly – if not fully – restore function.
- Work Related Injuries – At RehabXcel, we understand the nature of workplace injuries and how to get you back to work. That’s important because workplace injuries are often hard to diagnose and challenging to treat. This is where our comprehensive approach makes a huge difference, combining physical and occupational therapies to get you back to work safely and in as little time as possible. We offer comprehensive care for all types of work injuries, including back and neck pain; shoulder, wrist, and hand pain; knee, ankle and foot pain; major work injuries; and rehabilitation following surgery.
We’ll conduct a functional capacity evaluation to determine your ability to function in a variety of work-related circumstances and your ability to return to your specific job. We’ll also show you how to best meet the physical demands of your job, position your body more safely, maintain your results, and prevent muscle and joint pain and future injuries.
In addition, we’ll make sure your Workers’ Compensation case is handled properly. We’ll work with your case manager and physician and file all the necessary paperwork. And we’ll make sure everyone involved is on the same page when it comes to understanding exactly where you are in your recovery, what you can and cannot perform, and when you’re truly ready to return to work.
- Chronic Pain – Any pain that persists for weeks to years is considered chronic. Whether caused by inflammation or dysfunctional nerves, it is a relentless and debilitating burden that you need not tolerate – not when RehabXcel has focused therapies that can alleviate or help you manage your pain so you can function more effectively.
- Speech – Adults who have suffered a neurological illness or a traumatic injury and children who are coping with a hearing or a swallowing disorder or other impediment can greatly benefit from speech therapy at RehabXcel. The newest addition to our team, Danyelle LaFleur, is a certified speech-language pathologist who, using the latest techniques and advanced technology, can help improve your social and cognitive communication skills.
Collaborating with Your Physician for Your Complete Recovery
As an important and essential component in your care, RehabXcel works with your physician and surgeon. We follow your doctor’s protocols and provide reports on your therapy progress. In cases where surgery is not necessary, recovery protocols are designed by our therapists in keeping with today’s most effective rehabilitation of upper and lower extremity problems.
For more information about our focused care, make an appointment today at either our Eunice or Iota location by calling (337) 457-8164.